Museum für Naturkunde
The Museum für Naturkunde (Museum of Natural History) in Berlin is a museum, located in the Mitte borough of the German capital; it is one of the largest science museums in Germany.
The museum, founded in 1810, by merging of the Anatomical, the Mineralogical and the Zoological museums, is housed since 1889 in a large Renaissance-revival building designed by Geman architect August Tiede.
Badly damaged during the war, the East Wing of the museum was rebuilt in 2006.
A major renovation project, with improved visitor services and exhibition galleries, developed by Swiss architects Diener & Diener, was completed in 2018.
The Museum für Naturkunde houses three distinct collections, amounting to over 30 million items overall: the zoology, the paleontology, and the mineralogy collections; along with an interesting archive of animal sound recordings.
The permanent exhibition of the Museum für Naturkunde is divided into eight galleries, dedicated to Dinosaurs, Minerals, Evolution of life, Domestic animals, Earth geology, Taxidermy, Cosmos and Solar System and Insects.
The museum includes an educational center, the “Humboldt Exploratorium”, and the famous “Wet Collection”, containing about one million zoological specimens, conserved in ethanol.
The Museum für Naturkunde organizes special exhibitions, guided tours, educational programs, and special events, and includes a specialized library and a shop.
The museum is largely, though not completely, accessible to people with disabilities.
Cover by Carola Radke, courtesy of Museum für Naturkunde. Banner image by internets_dairy, Photos: 1 by Christian Rasmussen; 2 and 3 by Bryan Jones
How our readers rate this museum (you can vote)
More in Berlin
copyright Inexhibit 2020 - ISSN: 2283-5474