The Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus (Municipal Gallery of the Lenbachhaus) in Munich is a museum of modern and contemporary art located in the Kunstareal (art district) along with some of the most renowned museums in the capital of Bavaria.
The Lenbachhaus was founded in 1929 after a donation by the widow of the German artist Franz von Lenbach, aimed to establish a new museum of contemporary art in Germany.
Reconstructed and re-opened in 1947, after having been severely damaged during WW2, the Lenbachhaus quickly become one of the most recognized modern art museums in Munich.
A museum extension, designed by the renowned architectural firm Foster + Partners, was inaugurated in 2013.
The permanent collection of the museum Lenbachhaus is organized into various sections: art of the 19th century, the work of Franz von Lenbach, The Blue Rider movement and German Expressionism in general, New Objectivity, and international post-war artists, including Gerhard Richter, Joseph Beuys, Eduardo Paolozzi, Sigmar Polke, Anselm Kiefer, Ellsworth Kelly, and Sol LeWitt, just to name a few. The museum also possesses notable collections of photography and new-media art.
The Lenbachhaus organizes temporary exhibitions, dance performances, special events, research activities, and conservation programs.
The museum includes a specialized library, a shop, and a restaurant.
Photos © Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus München
How our readers rate this museum (you can vote)
More in Munich and Upper Bavaria
Munich and Upper Bavaria
copyright Inexhibit 2023 - ISSN: 2283-5474