The Bröhan-Museum is a museum in Berlin focused on fine art and applied arts from the late-19th century to WWII, and especially on art nouveau, art deco, and functionalism.
The museum was founded in 1973 by art collector and businessman Karl H. Bröhan (1921-2000). In 1983, the institution moved to its current home into one of the former Royal Guards barracks in front of the Charlottenburg Palace.
Collection and permanent exhibition
The collection of the Bröhan-Museum comprises paintings, porcelains, glassware, metalware, furniture, light fixtures, textiles, historical documents, photographs, and graphics dating from 1889 to 1939.
Among the artists and designers represented are Émile Gallé, Eugène Gaillard, Hector Guimard, Peter Behrens, Bruno Paul, Christopher Dresser, Hermann Gretsch, Archibald Knox, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Josef Hoffmann, Henry van de Velde, Gerrit Rietveld, Walter Leistikow, Willy Jaeckel, and Karl Hagemeister.
The permanent exhibition of the Bröhan-Museum is divided into thematic rooms where both artworks and objects of applied arts of the same period and style are presented side by side.
The rooms are grouped into three main subject areas, dedicated to late 19th century Art Nouveau (including movements such as British Arts and Crafts, French and Belgian Art Nouveau, German and Scandinavian Jugendstil, and the Viennese Secession), to Art Deco and Functionalism (with works by French and German Art Deco artists, and from functionalist and constructivist movements such as the Deutscher Werkbund and De Stijl), and to paintings and graphics by artists of the Berlin Secession art association.
The museum also includes two special sections, one dedicated to porcelains, and the other to the work of Belgian artist Henry van de Velde and to that of Austrian designer and architect Josef Hoffmann.
The Bröhan museum also organizes temporary exhibitions, educational programs for children and families, and special projects aimed to schools.
Bröhan-Museum Berlin, the Porcelain gallery; photo: Horst Schwartz
One of the rooms dedicated to Art Nouveau; photo; Martin Adam, Berlin
Views of the museum’s permanent exhibition; photos: Martin Adam
Walter Leistikow, The Harbor (Der Hafen), 1895, oil on canvas; photo Martin Adam © Bröhan-Museum, Berlin
Karl Hagemeister, Sunrise over the Schwielowsee (Sonnenaufgang über dem Schwielowsee), 1899, oil on canvas; photo Martin Adam © Bröhan-Museum, Berlin
Paul Speck, cigarette case, 1925, ceramics; photo: Ronald Gerhardt
Karl Heubler / Klasse Heubler, tea and coffee set, 1933, silver; photo: Martin Adam
Cover image: view of the museum’s building; photo courtesy of Bröhan-Museum, Berlin
How our readers rate this museum (you can vote)
More in Berlin
copyright Inexhibit 2019 - ISSN: 2283-5474